Liquor License can be interpreted as a legitimate consent given by the State Excise Department to those who are willing to widen the thresholds of their business by serving alcoholic beverages or drinks at a particular place. It is necessary for the business workers to stick to the rules and guidelines framed by the state governing authorities.
Every state has its own stand via which they keep an eye on the sale and consumption of alcohol. Every state has its own rules and regulations governing liquor.
Need For Liquor License
Attaining liquor license means that one has to obtain the legitimate approval to sell both alcohol and alcoholic beverages. It is vital to obtain liquor license before initiating the business of manufacturing and distributing alcohol and alcoholic drink. Relinquishing in the buying and selling of liquor without obtaining liquor license is considered as a legal offence.
Following Are The Types Of Liquor License Available In India:
- Beer and Wine Liquor License – The Restaurants and Bar, who are wishing to sell soft liquors like beers and wine go for this type of Liquor License. After this, the owners are not eligible to deal with hard liquors.
- Restaurant Liquor License – Any eatery who wants to serve any liquor in their premises can go for this type of Liquor License. But it is noteworthy to mention that the percentage of region dealing with alcohol must be limited to forty per cent.
- Tavern Liquor License – This type of license is necessary for that business, which though offers food items but makes up for half of their profits out of the alcohol sale.
- Brewpub Liquor License – This type of License is required by those who make their wine and beer.
KIND OF LIQUOR LICENSE ISSUED IN DELHI
- L-1 License – This License is granted to a company, partnership, society or proprietorship firm, which is running a manufacturing unit. Further, the State Excise Department grants this License. Also, for inviting applications regarding License, the State Excise Department issues Public Notice in leading Newspaper and on the official website.
- L–3 License – Bottling Plants or Distilleries requires this type of License. The State Government issues tenders for issuing this type of license.
- L–6 License – Retail vendors of Indian Liquor requires this type of License. Further, the State Government grants this license only to selected undertakings.
- L–9 License – Any vendor dealing in the Retail sale of the liquor of foreign brand requires this license. Additional, an L-1 License holder can only get this foreign brand license.
- L-10 License – If anyone wants to get a license for the retail sale of both Indian and foreign brands of liquor, then they get it under L-10 License.
- P-13 License – Hotels, clubs and restaurants can only obtain this license from the issuing authority. This license acts permission for the hotels, clubs and restaurants to serve foreign liquor in their premises during the hosting of any specific party or function on a particular day.
- P-10 License – Government, grants this license to permit serving of liquor at any specific function or party or anywhere in the city except the public parks.
- Others – The government grants various other licenses, which includes L-11, L-12, L-15, L-16, L-17, L-18, L-19, L-20, L-21, L-28, L-29, and L-30.
The scope of the laws regulating Liquor License covers:
- The businesses involved in selling alcohol
- When the liquor can be sold
- Where the liquor can be sold
- The quantity of the liquor sold in which container the liquor is sold
- Cost for alcohol is served
- Type of alcohol to be served
- To whom alcohol can be sold
- Manufacture and distribution of alcohol
LIQUOR LAWS IN INDIA
- Liquor is something whose demand and sale does not fall but can increase only with time. There are various laws regarding liquor in India and there is no uniformity in these at all.
- The subject of liquor is involved in the state list under the seventh schedule of the constitution of India. Thus, the law which governs the sale and consumption of alcohol varies from state to state.
- License is needed to sell the alcohol and in some particular states, so are the consumers. Usually liquor stores, pubs, clubs, discos, bars, hotels and restaurants are licensed to sale alcohol.
- In addition to this, beaches and houseboats may hate the license to sell alcohol to tourists. The sellers are compulsory to hold a license to sell alcohol, otherwise the selling of liquor is unlawful and prohibited.
Drunkenness is well-defined as the condition produced by a person who has taken liquor in a quantity satisfactory to cause him to lose control of his faculties to such an extent that he is incapable to execute the occupation on which he is engaged at the substantial time. The trend of consuming the liquor does not edge itself to any particular class in the society; it is prevalent among people of every class. Not only liquor is injurious to health, but crime rate gets higher too. For example, drink and drive cases or killings in the influence of intoxication or even assaulting cases after consuming alcohol. Drink and drive cases are very common in most of the state of India.
However, the state government has made liquor laws to govern the sale and consumption of the alcohol and makes amendment time to time to do alternation when new laws are needed.
Every state-run has prearranged its set of required documents for obtaining an alcohol license. Following are the list of documents wanted in general for obtaining a liquor license:-
- Applicant’s identity proof
- Applicant’s address proof
- Address proof of the premise used
- No Objection Certificate from the Fire Department
- No Objection Certificate from the Municipal Corporation
- An application with the business details
- List of the Directors in the case of a company
- Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association, in case the applicant is a company.
- Copy of the latest Income Tax Return
- Photograph of an authorized person
- An affidavit declaring that the authorized person doesn’t have any past criminal record under the state act
- An affidavit declaring that the authorized person is not a defaulter in paying any dues to any department.
VALIDITY OF LIQUOR LICENSE
Liquor License is renewed yearly, and this means that the liquor license renewal price is to be paid at each renewal. Any person who needs to get his license renewed needs to apply for the same before thirty days from the day of expiry along with payment of renewal charges. The application form has to be accompanied with Challan copy, Evidence of the payment of application fee of twenty-five rupees and the liquor license renewal fee fixed by the State Government from time to time
ABOLISHING OF THE LICENSE
The State Excise Authorities will revoke the License if:
- Liquor served on Dry Days
- Liquor served to Minors
- Violations of the rules and regulations prescribed by the state excise department.
In order to sell liquor in India, one needs to obtain a liquor license. And obtaining a liquor license in India can be a long and monotonous process. Every place has different requirements and procedures for obtaining a liquor license to sell alcohol.
To help you make this process is a lot easier ASA is here to help you. Reach out to us and we will make sure to help you in best way possible.
We will make all the essential documents for you. From identity proof to necessary affidavit required, we’ll help you acquire all that without any hustle-bustle.
While you focus on expanding the business with great ideas and schemes, we will take up your legal formalities.